So a few weeks ago I disabled Ipv6 from the Local Area Connection on my Windows Server 2008 R2. I was changing the gateway and I thought, I’m not going to use it, so I could just as well disable it.
The server is running:
- Active Directory
- Exchange 2010
- TFS 2010
BUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT.
Today I decided to install some windows updates. There were about 16 of them, and one for Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP1 Rollup2 ( I think the name was ).
It took forever to install … but finally after 1 hour is was done and I reboot the machine. It took forever to boot up ( Applying computer settings ) … again 1 hour … login took about ½ hour.
I could see it answered on the IP address … so it was not frozen or anything like that. Did a little googling and found a post mentioning NOT to disable ipv6 because some part of Windows Server 2008 R2 can’t function with out it, unless you also do some register editing. Ohh My Freaking God.
Microsoft … I’m sending Sons of Anarchy over to do some payback.
I have a few servers running, but they are all external to me, as they are placed in a data center, so my own computer aren't joined to the domain.
- SS-Exchange: DC, Exchange
- SS-SQL: SQL
- SS-IIS: IIS. FTP, TFS
This haven't been a problem before at all. So the other day one of my friends asked if I could host a TFS Project for him on my server. No problem, so I created the user in the DC, created the project and the last thing to do was just to add him to the project so he would have access to it, and then the problems started. As my own computer was not part of the domain, I could only add local users, from my own computer. I hadn't been a problem before as my user was “TFS Administrator” so I had access to all projects.
So I started binging/goggling the net, but to no avail. I was puling my hair out … ARGHH.
Then I decided to ask a question on serverfault with the title TFS 2010 - Adding users to a Team Project. Is was slow with comments in the start, but there come a few, buy they did not really help me much.
So I thought it was not possible at all, and a BIG #FAIL by Microsoft.
Then a Anthony come with an interesting comment you can read here.
So I started looking around again as I could not make his suggestion work, probably because I did something wrong since it worked for him. But when jumping around in the “Team Foundation Server Administration Console” I found what I had been looking for all the time. Not the first place to look … but here are the details needed.
Follow the numbers on the above picture.
Again, click the number in the order.
Follow the numbers as before.
The rest for here should be like a walk in the part. God darn this is a well hidden feature that its done from the “Valid Users” properties on the group. But is was here.